Google Domains with Heroku and DDNS
6/15/2018, 6:5:25 AM
In an effort to better "brand" myself, I decided change a whole bunch of things about my online presence
- I started posting on Instagram & Twitter.
- I created new assets for my website and other platforms.
- I got a new domain: len.digital
I used Google Domains this time, instead of Godaddy, and the change is pretty dramatic. Not only is the price cheaper, but it comes with free domain privacy (which godaddy charges $8) and Dynamic DNS service.
A short recap of what I needed to do to get Heroku + Google Domains to play nice.
- Specify a new custom domain in Heroku (www.len.digital)
- Get the DNS target from Heroku and put it in as a CNAME for www.len.digital in Google Domain's custom resource records
- Because Heroku and DNS A-Records don't play nice, I can't use len.digital directly; and need to add a 301 permanent redirect from len.digital to www.len.digital
Those steps got len.digital to redirect here. Everything is now the same as michaellen.com.
But hold up - I see that Google Domains has "Dynamic DNS" as an option in their DNS settings.